Banana bread holds a special place in my heart. It is one of the first things I made for my special someone and I have been working on perfecting a recipe ever since we met. The coveted “Best Banana Bread” was discovered in Myrtle Beach, SC this past summer while visiting my friends. It was moist (yup, using that word), easy to make, and semi-healthy. All huge wins in my book.
This banana bread recipe is from a Cooking Lite cookbook and is titled “Marbled Chocolate Banana Bread.” I made a few changes, took out the chocolate part (shocker, I know) and the recipe below is what I used to make my wedding cake. No big deal… 🙂
2 Cups of all-purpose flour *
3/4 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1 cup of sugar
1/4 cup butter, softened
1 1/2 cup of mashed ripe banana (about 3 bananas)
1/3 cup of plain yogurt
* To make this cake gf, just use 2 cups of gluten free flour mix (like Bob’s Red Mill)
- Preheat oven to 350F
- Combine flour, baking soda, and salt and stir with a whisk
- Place sugar and butter in a large bowl and beat with a mixer at medium speed until blended (about 1 min). Add banana, yogurt, and egg and beat until blended. Slowly add in flour at low speed until just moist.
- Spray a 8 1/2 x 4 1/2 0 inch loaf pan with cooking spray and spoon batter into pan.
- Bake for an hour or until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean
- Let cool for 10 min in the pan and then place on a wire rack to finish cooling